Friday, November 13, 2015
"Service Learning Reflection 3"
For this service learning experience I helped with the UNC Asheville cook-a-thon on campus. So basically I washed dirty pots and pans from the food that was being prepared. After the pots, pans, and bowls were dry I put them back in their cupboards and racks. So cornbread, chili, and apple crisp were some of the things that were prepared for the cook-a-thon that Friday evening. I think this service learning opportunity enhanced my academic growth. I felt like I was helping in the process of providing food for those who are in need and disadvantaged. I think these service learning opportunities give me a chance to learn more about how many people are negatively affected by a lack of fresh food options. I have learned that the community of Asheville is doing quite a lot for people who live in areas where fresh, healthy food is hard to come by. I haven't been this openly exposed to the different things there are to do to become involved in the fight against hunger in the community. My goals are to stay as active as I can in whatever activities are around the UNC Asheville community and the surrounding area, whether it be helping in gardens or going to soup kitchens and the like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you were able to help out with the cook-a-thon, Chuka! Thank you for your willingness to serve the community, even with the less-than-desirable work of washing dishes :)
ReplyDelete