So far my
experience with this service learning course I've been able to attend an
orientation that defined what this type of class was all about. This course is
unique in the sense that the approach to teaching and learning is from applying
hands on experience. Personally without this course I don’t think I would have
become aware of the stereotype that young adults doing service could lead to negative
racial outcomes. Now I’m more open-minded to think of service as a necessary
good for others but at the same time regarding those you’re helping as equals
also. I plan on attending my first garden session this upcoming Tuesday. I have
yet to acquire any new skill-sets but I believe after Tuesday’s garden session I
will know a few more applicable skills for planting and harvesting crops. It
has been difficult to plan accordingly for service opportunities with
practices, and my game schedule but I really am looking forward to my garden
session in the next couple of days. I've definitely picked up some facts about
the agricultural background that Asheville has and the locality of where most
of the food comes from in our dining halls, but I would like to know more about
the demographics of farmers in this town because that can always be a
surprising statistic. I hope to help the garden organization that I plan on
being involved with on Tuesday with whatever they need looked after, and to
also make resources more readily available to people that may not have the
means or time to do so.
This picture was taken at the Arthur R. Edington Education and Career Center here in Asheville, where we enjoyed a wonderful 3 course meal from aspiring chefs. Green Opportunities is doing a great job for giving people work experience and also providing nutritional meals for people in the surrounding neighborhood.

I'm glad you found aspects of the Key Center orientation helpful, Chuka! Teaching S-L classes at UNCA has definitely changed the way I think about service and volunteer work and charity. I know your schedule is extremely busy, and I really appreciate your dedication to make it work. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
ReplyDelete