After reading “The Pleasures of Eating” by Wendell
Berry, I agree with some of the points that he made in order for people to eat
more responsibly. I do believe our generation has become less aware of where
our food comes from and how it’s being processed. Unfortunately for me
personally I haven’t been able to do all the things that Berry suggests to help
with eating responsibly. I’ve definitely prepared my own food before and I
enjoy cooking for myself because it makes me feel self-sufficient. I shop at
Trader Joe’s and Harris Teeter so I know a lot of the fresh produce and eggs is
locally grown and harvested. Whenever I go to a farmer’s market I like to
discuss the different things that the farmers have to sell and I like to hear
that these people enjoy what they’re doing and that their work is important.
But some of the other points that Berry makes about knowing the economy of food
production and learning the best farming and gardening techniques is difficult
to do with my busy life. I can attest to the fact that after reading an excerpt
from Food Justice, titled “Accessing
Food” Berry takes for granted the fact that it’s a privilege to have the time
to analyze the origins of our food and prepare our own meals on a regular
basis. In “Accessing Food” there are grocery gaps that exist in low income,
densely populated areas that have fast food restaurants and liquor stores as
the main source of food. This combats the idea that people should eat more
responsibly when they don’t have the food options to do so. Both pieces of
writing discuss that people deserve to have sources of fresh produce and
free-grazing animals to ensure the best quality of food available. I agree with
the idea in “Accessing Food” that small fresh markets be implanted in
low-income neighborhoods so that there is at least fresh options for these
communities instead of fast food restaurants or food marts that sell unhealthy
options.
I agree completely with the statements you're making about this article. While I would love to eat a home cooked meal every day and have a garden where I eat what I grow, it's just not expected for a student in college (or anyone for that matter) have that much time on their hands.
ReplyDeleteI agree, it's kind of annoying how most people ignore that people can't access healthy food in a poorer neighborhood and blame their unhealthiness on them for not eating more organic food.
ReplyDeleteI think you brought up a lot of good points when discussing both articles. It's great to be able to go to stores like trader joe's or harris teeter where most of the food they have there is locally grown, but that isn't something everyone has the pleasure of being able to experience. I agree that Berry takes it for granted that everyone has the time or the ability to find the origins of the food and making meals when in reality that isn't always possible.
ReplyDelete